How Much Does Moving Cost?
Making a move, be it across the county or even just across town, can be an exciting experience. But it can also be a costly one! Note we did say can. The team at SMARTBOX often finds that the best way to keep costs down is to identify them, plan for them, and then build the moving strategy that fits your budget best. Need some help figuring out what you need? Our team is here today to help you understand the common costs involved.
Looking for a team that can help you keep costs lower and moving smoother? Contact SMARTBOX today to find out how portable storage in Bethesda can make your move stress-free!
Costs to Plan For
In a typical interstate move we would classify the following as things you’re going to need to plan for:
- Going the distance (gas). By calculating the distance you’re going, the mileage your vehicle gets per gallon, and the common cost of gas in your state (or states you’ll be traveling in) is easily done and helps you put some hard numbers on the budget.
- Moving insurance. If you’re taking advantage of a moving service then you automatically benefit from a legally-mandated liability insurance. However the coverage is minimal, meaning appliances or technology that gets damage will likely not be covered well at all. We highly recommend going in for beefier insurance on any move.
- Storage rental. Whether you’re utilizing portable storage or on-site facilities, you’ll want to know what you’re paying in. Many movers allow for a 30-60 day grace period that is included in the cost of the moving service. If so you want to take advantage of this fur sure, but you also want to be aware of the time you have so that you don’t start getting charged.
- For longer moves, hotel costs. If you’re going across a couple of states you’re going to need to rest your head for a bit. We’d recommend looking up and reserving hotel rooms beforehand to not only make plotting a course easier, but to also add the full cost of board to your budget (plus many hotels offer specials or discounts for online reservations).
Costs You Can Mitigate
These are the costs we find to be easiest to mitigate, meaning you can cut some corners without cutting quality, thus saving yourself some budget space:
- Materials costs. Packing tape is probably going to cost the same nearly anywhere you go. However you can skimp a bit on boxes and other materials by asking local retailers for spare intact boxes. If you prefer safer, newer options, then look to local moving services, since they often offer moving materials for sale at very good rates.
- Food and drink. We know that cooking ahead in the middle of a move is not something you want to do at all. Often it’s not even possible. However it’s likely that you’ve got some buddies helping you on your move. Rather than a spare pair of hands to haul boxes, see if a good friend or family member will take to the task of setting up some on the go lunches. This can actually save you way more than you might expect, since travel food is rarely sold at a fair price.
Making Moves Simpler with SMARTBOX
Looking for ways to minimize your moving costs while also keeping stress as low as possible. Contact the specialists at SMARTBOX! Not only do we provide excellent portable storage options, but our movers are also dedicated to making the process as comfortable as possible.