College Storage Packing Tips
As the school year comes to a close, there is a lot on the average student’s mind. With the stress of exams and the excitement of finishing another semester, it’s easy to forget about the packing process that comes with the end of the year. Of course, once you realize it’s time to pack up and move out, you’ll probably wonder:
- Where am I going to put everything?
- How will I transport all of my belongings home?
- What’s the best way to store items I won’t use while I’m away from school?
In other words, are you trying to figure out where to put your possessions without bringing everything you own home? Don’t fret—by renting a self-storage unit, you may get the best of both worlds.
How to Pack College Belongings in Self-Storage Unit
Now that you’ve rented a storage unit from a reliable portable storage company, it’s time to properly pack your items. Here are our tips on how to safely and conveniently store belongings that you may have:
- Books. First, place your books horizontally in a sturdy, small box. Avoid vertical storage—this can damage your books’ spines!
- Clothing. By rolling or folding your clothes and keeping them in clear plastic boxes or new cardboard boxes, you can keep their shape and wear without causing wrinkles. Make sure to wash each article of clothing before putting it in storage—you don’t want to open your storage unit in three months and be greeted by stinky clothes!
- Glassware. Wrap each item individually in bubble wrap or newsprint and then carefully place your glassware in sturdy cardboard boxes. Make sure to pack heavier items at the bottom of the box—there’s nothing worse than returning to a box of broken glass!
- Appliances. Always clean out your appliances before packing them away for storage. If you have a mini-fridge, make sure you leave the door open while in storage. This will allow for air flow.
Once you’ve packed up your items, it’s time to organize. It’s not fun to come back to school only to find a cluttered storage unit! Make sure you label each box with what’s inside—by doing this on all four sides and on top of the box, you’ll know exactly where everything is upon your return.
Choose SMARTBOX for Your Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, DC Self-Storage Needs
Once your classes come to an end, give the storage solution experts at SMARTBOX a call. We can provide a temperature-controlled, convenient, and affordable storage box for you, making the college moving process quick and easy. Don’t wait—call 301-683-6111 or fill out one of our online contact forms today!