How to Move in Winter: 10 Tips to Make Your Move Easier
The most popular time for moving is usually in the warmer months between May and September. But, as long as you’re prepared, a move in the winter doesn’t have to more of a hassle than a summer move. You can overcome the challenges presented by the colder weather by following these quick tips!
- Pay Attention to the Weather – This may seem obvious, but when you’re in the middle of packing up boxes and figuring out what you may need to put in storage, you may forget to watch the weather! Find time during all of the hustle and bustle to keep an eye on the forecast. Make sure you’re not planning your moving day when a forecasted snowstorm is supposed to roll into town.
- Turn on the Lights & Heat in Plenty of Time – Depending on how long it has been unoccupied, your new home may be pretty chilly. Remember to have the utilities turned on in enough time to heat the place up a few degrees before you arrive to move in.
- Pack Your Stuff for the Cold – If you’re moving further away than across town, make sure you think about how long your items will be in the cold. Moving trucks aren’t temperature controlled, so while your belongings are in transit, they’ll likely be sitting in temperatures equal to those outside. If you have stuff that is sensitive to the cold, pack it well to protect it.
- Don’t Pack Your Winter Supplies – Again, there’s a lot going on during this process! Make sure you keep your pile of winter supplies–such as shovels, ice scrapers, salt, and winter clothing–out of a box. You’ll likely need them.
- Ask for Help – You’ll want to make sure you have some help on moving day. The more people to move boxes, the less time each of you spends going in and out of the cold. We highly recommended hiring professional movers if you can. You don’t want to risk a friend or family member slipping on ice or snow and getting hurt. Professional movers are more experienced when it comes to the best way to move large boxes and heavy items in winter weather.
- Wear Layers on Moving Day – Yes, you will be out in the cold as you pack up your stuff, but make sure you wear layers. You may get warm from all the lifting, and you’ll want to keep your body temperature at a healthy, regulated level. Layers are easier to take off and put back on as your internal temperature goes up and down.
- Clear the Walkways – Use a shovel to clear snow and ice off of the walkways at your old place before you start loading, and at your new place before you start unloading. If necessary, use salt or sand to keep them clear. This will make the environment safer for all of those helping!
- Protect the Inside Space – Safely secure a covering (tarp, cardboard, etc.) on your floors to keep high traffic areas protected in both your old place and new. As people move in and out of your home, they’ll track in ice, snow, dirt, salt, etc. If any debris make it onto your floor, have rags or towels ready to wipe up the mess. Don’t let messes sit and ruin your floors or carpet!
- Stay Hydrated & Warm – Have drinks readily available for yourself and whoever is helping you move. Yes, it’s cold. But, you all will still sweat. Warm drinks will keep you hydrated and help keep your body temperature up as you move in and out of the cold.
- Have a Backup Plan – Even if you watch the weather and plan accordingly, an unexpected snowstorm may occur. Make sure that you have a plan B mapped out in case your original moving day doesn’t work out.
SMARTBOX Can Simplify Your Winter Move
As a moving and portable storage company, we have a lot of experience with winter moves. If you’re in need of a moving company in Maryland, Virginia, or Washington, DC, we can help! We will bring our portable storage containers right to your home; they’re equipped with weather-resistant covers, making them the perfect solution for moving in snowy weather.
You’ll have all the time you need to fill the box, or boxes, with your belongings. When you’re ready, we’ll come back, pick up the box, and move it to your new home. For your convenience, we even offer moving supplies and loading and unloading services.
Contact us online or call 800-210-2317 today to talk to us about reserving your SMARTBOX!