How to Move with Pets
As all pet owners know, your four-legged friends are more than just animals—they’re a part of your family! So when it comes to moving, you know you have to take special precautions to make the move stress-free for your dog, cat, or other pet. At SMARTBOX, we’ve seen it all when it comes to moving, and we have learned some great tips for moving with pets that can help make your life easier during your upcoming move.
Learn more about how we can help by giving us a call at 800-210-2317 or filling out the form to the right.
Here’s How to Move with Pets
There are many things you need to do or consider when moving with pets, including:
- Update ID tags – If your pet’s ID tag has the address of your home (which is highly recommended) you should make sure to get an updated tag a few days before your move—and don’t forget to swap it out for the old one when you get to your new place!
- Get veterinary records – If you’re moving long-distance or far enough away from your current veterinarian, make sure to ask for a copy of your pet’s records. That way, you can keep your dog or cat’s health on track with a new vet.
- Have a new vet ready – Speaking of a new vet, you should already have one picked out before you get to your new place. You never know what kind of medical emergencies could arise within the first couple weeks of you moving in, and it will be easier to pick out the right vet if you’re not in a rush.
- Keep food and medication on hand – There’s one thing that shouldn’t be packed away when it comes to moving with pets, and that’s the food and any medication they need.
- Have an emergency medical kit – Although an emergency medical kit doesn’t replace the care of an experienced veterinarian, it never hurts to be prepared!
- Pack in advance – One of our best tips for moving with pets is packing in advance! This decreases the chaos on moving day (or week) which can make the move easier on your pet. SMARTBOX can bring portable storage containers to your home so you can pack months in advance!
- Keep your pet away from the chaos – Many pets can become overwhelmed by the process of moving. If possible, keep your pet in a secluded area or with a trusted friend when moving day comes.
- Play it safe in the car – We recommend keeping your pet in his or her crate in the car—this is going to make everything safer for both you and your pet.
Make Moving Easier with SMARTBOX
SMARTBOX doesn’t just make moving with pets easier! Whether you’re moving long-distance or moving locally, we can help you improve your move. We will bring our portable storage containers right to your door and give you all the time you need filling them—no rush and no hassle. Then, when you’re ready, we’ll pick up your containers and take them to your new destination! And if you’re ready for your move before your new place is, we can take some or all of your containers to our secure, temperature-controlled storage facility.
Contact us today to learn more about moving with pets or to reserve your boxes!
Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Caroline, Carroll, Cecil, Charles, Dorchester, Frederick, Harford, Howard, Kent, Montgomery, Prince George, Queen Anne, Saint Mary, Somerset, Annapolis, Baltimore, Bethesda, Columbia, Frederick, Gaithersburg, Hyattsville, Rockville, Silver Spring, Wheaton.