How to Pack a Storage Unit the Right Way
No matter why you need portable self-storage, knowing how to pack a storage unit properly is important in order to optimize your space. When your belongings are going to be transported—either to your new location or our storage facility—there’s an art to loading things into a storage container to ensure their safe arrival. Find out how to pack a storage unit safely and efficiently below or contact SMARTBOX today!
- Shrink wrap – Wrap the edges of your couches and armoires with shrink wrap before loading them onto into your portable storage unit. Not only can shrink wrap protect your furniture, but you can also use it to hold drawers in place so they don’t fall out and cause damage during your move.
- Load items based on weight – This one seems like a no-brainer, but once you get into the groove of packing, it’s easy to forget and start loading things in without thinking. Make sure to always place the heaviest items on the bottom of the SMARTBOX container and then work your way up to the lightest items.
- Use the “high and tight” method – You should be packing every level of belongings as flat and completely full as possible—that means sliding boxes under desks and coffee tables, placing items on the couches to make them flat, etc. This is especially important because not only will it allow you to maximize your available space, but it also ensures a tight and level fit for all your items, reducing the risk of them shifting during transit.
- Wrap your breakables – While this might be a general moving tip, it’s important nonetheless. Wrap anything breakable, including glass picture frames, mirrors, vases, etc. Don’t be afraid to use a few layers!
- Utilize moving blankets, towels, linens and extra pillows – We’ve mentioned this before in our moving tips, but using blankets, pillows and other linens to fill up extra space in the storage unit is the best way to fully achieve the “high and tight” ideal you’re looking for. It allows you to add cushions between your things and keep from having gaps that something could fall into and possibly break.
- Think about your largest items – When you’re considering how to pack a storage unit, give extra attention to your largest items, such as the washer and dryer or refrigerator. You need to be very conscious of their placement in the container, ensuring they are safe and secure. Don’t forget to disconnect any hoses or cords and store them safely inside the appliance from which they came.
- Stage your container – If you’re having trouble organizing things perfectly inside your storage unit, sometimes the easiest thing to do is take them out and stage them outside. This can give you a better idea of your space before you start shifting things around inside. Just think of it like a big game of Tetris.
How to pack a storage unit isn’t actually too difficult, if you know what you’re doing! If you have more questions about packing your things, or you want to reserve your portable storage in Northern Virginia, Maryland or Washington, DC, contact SMARTBOX today!
Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Caroline, Carroll, Cecil, Charles, Dorchester, Frederick, Harford, Howard, Kent, Montgomery, Prince George, Queen Anne, Saint Mary, Somerset, Annapolis, Baltimore, Bethesda, Columbia, Frederick, Gaithersburg, Hyattsville, Rockville, Silver Spring, Wheaton.