Long Distance Moving Tips
When you’re planning a long distance move, things can start to get very complicated! On top of having to pack everything, you need to decide what should come and what shouldn’t, how you are transporting your items, figuring out your new place, and so much more! That’s why SMARTBOX of Maryland, Northern Virginia and Washington, DC is here to help with some long distance moving tips.
- Pick the right mover – One of the most important aspects of long distance moving is to pick the right mover for you. Many traditional moving companies charge an arm and a leg to transport your belongings across the country, or even just to the next state. That’s why using portable storage containers is an excellent option! SMARTBOX can even store some (or all) of your belongings if they’re packed up and ready before your new home is.
- Pack well – Since your things will be going long distances, they’re going to meet more bumps along the way. Make sure everything is packed up nice and tight so nothing can slip and fall—utilizing sheets, towels, blankets and pillows is the perfect way to fill in extra space in boxes that need padding. To really ensure your belongings are packed safely and securely, check out our packing tips part 1 and part 2.
- Plan your trip – Whether you’re driving your own car or scheduling a flight, make sure you plan your trip! Make travel reservations in advance to get the best deals. If you’re driving, make sure you know where you’re going to stop along the way and how to get to your destination.
- Drive your car – On that subject—drive your own car whenever possible. Shipping your car to your new destination can be incredibly inconvenient, and it often requires you to schedule the transport many months in advance. It’s much easier to just have your car with you the moment you get to your new place so you can run out and pick up toilet paper or soap or anything else you may have forgotten.
- Declutter – One of the most helpful long distance moving tips is to declutter! When you’re going to start packing, set up three boxes: keep, donate and throw away. Sort each of your items accordingly as you pack, and weigh the sentimental and monetary value of each item before you decide which box it goes in. This will help even more when you’re unpacking at your new place—not to mention how nice donating to charity makes you feel!
- Stay organized –Above all else, stay organized! Make a list of what you need to do before, during and after your move and adhere to it. Your list should contain items such as:
- Changing your address
- Canceling current utilities and setting them up at your new place
- Schedules for moving, traveling and more
- How many boxes you have and what rooms they’re going to
When You’re Ready for Your Long Distance Move
SMARTBOX of Maryland, Northern Virginia and Washington, DC makes long distance moving easy. You can completely customize your move with our portable storage containers because each one can hold approximately one to one and a half rooms worth of furniture and belongings, which makes keeping things together simple. If you’re looking for the best long distance moving company in the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area, contact SMARTBOX today!