Five Remodeling Tips That Can Save You Money
Deciding to remodel your home can be a huge undertaking—it requires a lot of preparation, time, and money. That’s why SMARTBOX is here to help the strain on your wallet by providing five remodeling tips that can help save you money on your next project. Whether you want to add an addition on the house or redo the hardwood in the dining room, we can help you.
Our Money-Saving Remodeling Tips
- Research a contractor. If you decide to use a contractor for your remodeling project, make sure you shop around. If you consult more than one contractor, you’re more likely to find the best deal—and sometimes, if you want to do a DIY project, you can find a contractor to consult at an hourly rate.
- Get to work. One of the best remodeling tips we have for saving money is to jump in there and start helping out. Whether it’s handling your own demolition or doing the clean-up work yourself, this can really start to add up. If you haul out the Shop Vac and garbage bags yourself instead of paying the construction crew to clean up you could save approximately $200 a day, depending on the project.
- Plan for stock sizes. Purchasing stock sizes for your remodeling project is going to save you a lot of money in comparison to having everything custom-made. For instance, don’t plan something 10 feet wide when plywood comes in 4-foot-wide sheets! You’re just going to cause yourself extra hassle and spend more money. This also applies to stock windows, doors, cabinets, etc.—custom doors can cost between $1,500 – $2,000 whereas a standard door might run you only $500.
- Invest in portable storage. One of the best money-saving remodeling tips we have for big and small projects alike is to invest in portable storage. Besides keeping both household items out of the way during construction as well as any building supplies you may have on hand, it will also keep everything out of harm’s way. Damaged belongings, whether it’s your leather sofa or the new cabinets you purchased, can start to really add up if you need to repair or replace them. Save yourself the hassle by contacting SMARTBOX—we can provide secure portable storage containers that protect your belongings from the elements.
- Buy supplies at auction. Building-supply auctions have a nearly endless supply of products that could be perfect for your remodel. You can get things at an absolute steal, depending on the day—custom made windows or doors can go for ridiculously low prices! The potential to save here is huge.
Portable Storage for Your Remodeling Project
If you’re planning a remodeling project in Maryland, Northern Virginia, or Washington, DC and you’re interested in getting portable storage to safely store your belongings and supplies, contact SMARTBOX today. We’ll bring a container (or two or three—as many as you need) right to you. All you have to do is load up your belongings, and you can keep them on-site as long as you need them. If you want them stored in one of our secure, temperature-controlled facilities, we can do that, too. Just give us a call.
When you’re ready to start your remodeling project, pick up the phone and call SMARTBOX! You can reserve your portable storage or find out more money-saving remodeling tips today!
Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Caroline, Carroll, Cecil, Charles, Dorchester, Frederick, Harford, Howard, Kent, Montgomery, Prince George, Queen Anne, Saint Mary, Somerset, Annapolis, Baltimore, Bethesda, Columbia, Frederick, Gaithersburg, Hyattsville, Rockville, Silver Spring, Wheaton.