Using Storage for Spring Cleaning
Spring is the time to open up your home once again and get the dust bunnies out from under the couch. Along with your general spring cleaning efforts, this is also the time to clear out the clutter and reassess what you’re storing in your home.
Storage is a real problem in many houses, condos, and apartments. Are your closets overflowing? Is it difficult to find storage space for the items you use on a regular basis?
If you’re having storage problems in your home, call the pros at SMARTBOX—our number is 301-683-6111! You can also fill out the form to the right.
How to Utilize Storage during Spring Cleaning
One major factor that takes up a huge amount of space in your storage area is the seasonal decorations. You want your home to be festive during the major holidays in the fall and winter, but what do you do with the plastic Jack-O-Lanterns, horns of plenty, Christmas tree, and holiday lights for the vast majority of the year? Portable storage is a great option for keeping these decorations from cluttering up your home in the spring and summer months.
Use the following storage tips when doing your spring cleaning to make it easy to get to these holiday decorations, and anything else you move into a store unit, at a later time.
- Place as many decorations and other personal items as possible into cardboard boxes. These are the best storage option because they are inexpensive, stack nicely, and can be labeled easily. Plastic storage bins are also an ideal option if you’re willing to make a larger investment.
- Clearly label all your boxes on the top and at least one side so you don’t have to guess what the contents include.
- Pack boxes in two layers deep around the edges of the storage container, leaving a narrow walkway so you can reach contents at the rear of the unit. This prevents you from needing to climb over obstacles or remove a dozen boxes just to reach one in the very back.
- Store heavier boxes on the bottom and stack boxes of equal size as high as you can.
- Be smart about the way you store boxes according to when you need them in the future. For example, it’s easy to end up with the Halloween decorations in the very back and Christmas in front, but you’ll need all things orange two months before the red and green. When packing everything up in the spring, order the boxes correctly. You’ll thank yourself when fall rolls around.
- Load furniture such as couches, futons, and loveseats into the storage unit on their sides so they take up less room. Drape covers over upholstered furniture to protect it.
- Consider temperature-controlled storage to prevent your belongings from being subjected to the elements.
- Research the portable storage company you choose. Compare storage container size, durability, safety, and security.
No matter what you’re storing or when you’ll need it next, SMARTBOX is the perfect spring cleaning storage solution. We are open and honest about our pricing and provide accurate quotes. If you’re ready to get the clutter out of your house this spring and into a storage unit, please contact us today to get the process started.
Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Caroline, Carroll, Cecil, Charles, Dorchester, Frederick, Harford, Howard, Kent, Montgomery, Prince George, Queen Anne, Saint Mary, Somerset, Annapolis, Baltimore, Bethesda, Columbia, Frederick, Gaithersburg, Hyattsville, Rockville, Silver Spring, Wheaton.